Anyone with curly hair can attest to the fact that it takes a lot of trial and error before you find a routine and the right products that works for you. With that being said, there are a few tips and hacks to keep in mind out there when it comes to your hair. Here are top 5 best tips for every type of curl!
1) Keep your hair Moisturized!
- Make sure your hair moisturizer has h2o in it, Use a leave in conditioner everyday to avoid your hair from drying out. Oils and butters do not moisturize your hair! They seal in moisture
- The ends of your hair are the oldest, driest and most fragile part of your hair. You have to place your moisturizer directly at the ends of your hair and seal in that moisture with a hair butter or oil.
- (Try Using Aloe Vera as a sealant over your moisturizers it will greatly improve your hairs growth cycle)
- Trying to moisturize on dry hair will never seal in your moisture well… always try moisturizing on damp or wet hair for effective moisturizing
2)Deep Condition Your Hair!
- Deep condition and detangle with a wide toothcomb!
- Beware of the brush! A wide toothcomb is your best friend! (And you should pretty much only use it when your hair is sopping wet with conditioner)
- Hair that is deep conditioned regularly is more manageable, softer, less prone to breakage and frizz, and is able to retain length.
- Once a week will do the trick.
3) Don’t forget about hot oil treatments!
- Hot oil treatments lock in moisture giving your hair shine, body and bounce. Do it once a week or every two weeks and it will show great benefits.
- Use a microfiber towel or a cotton t-shirt to cut down frizz when drying your hair.
- Sleep in a satin cap or sleep on a satin/silk pillow to avoid breakage during the night, oh & always Style your hair using a diffuser on the coolest setting.
4) Use curl specific Hair shampoos
- Many conventional formulas can strip curls of their natural moisture, use a sulfate free cleanser or co-wash and occasionally use a clarifying shampoo. Scale back on washing altogether, shampooing your hair everyday might be the protocol for some but for curls it’s an overkill. In fact, it will just dry them out and make them less bouncy.
- If you need a refresh between wash day, mist a little leave in conditioner or make your own spray bottle with h20, aloe Vera juice or and leave in
- Try a Clarifying DIY shampoo with ½ cup of Apple cider vinegar, a ½ water and a pea size amount of baking soda. This magic potion will help clarify hair from product build up and hard water mineral deposits.
5) Don’t skip your Protein Treatments!
- One way to hair growth is to not skip protein treatments! Protein fills the gaps, strengthening areas where the little fibers of the hair strand are missing so it looks new again.
- Do a protein treatment once a month for maximum hair strength and fuller healthier hair. This makes hair softer, smoother, help retain moisture, stops and prevents breakage.
- You can make your own with an avocado mixed in with Hair mayonnaise or you can try a mixture of Shea butter, coconut oil, Greek yogurt and honey. One egg, heat Shea butter and coconut oil combine ingredients and leave in for an hour
Check out my Instagram for my curly hair wash and go tutorial using my favorite curly hair products by Jamaican mango and lime Pure Naturals